Size matters - keep your wick short and trim to 0.5 cm after every burn
Top tips for getting the most out of our candles
1. Curing: Some of our candles and melts are made from plant based waxes and therefore need a little time to 'cure' before lighting. We will normally cure our candles prior to selling, but occasionally our candles are made to order (especially in the case of our tin refills). If your candles or melts need a little cure time before lighting we will include a 'Cured By' card with a recommended date that it is ready to light. Lighting a candle before it has fully cured won't do any harm but you won't get the full fragrance impact from your candle. If there is no 'Cured By' card your candle is cured and ready to light.
2. First Burn: The first burn should ideally be around 3-4 hours long to enable the melted wax to extend towards the edges of the container, up to a maximum 4 hours. Usually this will take around an hour per inch of diameter although our larger candles will probably not quite reach the edges on the first or second burn. Wax has a ‘memory’ and extinguishing a candle too soon after lighting can lead to tunnelling.
3. Wick length: Trim the wick after every burn: It is important to keep wicks very short (0.5 cm). This will help to avoid 'mushrooming' and carbon build up, which can produce soot, and will prevent too large a flame which will help keep container temperatures cooler. Trim the wick after every burn, once completely cool.
4. Burn times: Never burn any candle for longer than 4 hours. Our smaller amber glass candles should be burned for a maximum of 2-3 hours at a time.
5. The end of your candle: Extinguish your candle when there is at least 1.5 cm of wax left at the bottom of the container, never burn to the very end or the container may overheat.
6. Take care when extinguishing to avoid blowing melted wax. Ideally use a candle snuff or dipper to avoid smoking.
7. Always burn candles safely. Keep away from children and pets. Place on a firm, suitable and heat proof surface/coaster, away from drafts and overhanging materials. Never leave a burning candle unattended. With all scented candles, ensure that pets are able to leave the room if they want to. Keep lit candles away from water and extinguish with care.
8. Store in a dry place out of direct sunlight, avoid extreme variations in temperature and for optimal performance use within 12 months of purchase. If your candle comes with a lid we recommend you use this in between burns. The fragrance of candles made with essential oils in particular can fade over time.
For more information on our candle burn characteristics and other general queries and please refer to our FAQ section.